· Never run errands for strangers, even for money.
· Never accept candy money or gifts from a stranger, or an invitation to a movie, etc.
· Never get in to a car with a stranger for any reason.
· Never Hitch-Hike.
· If a stranger attempts to coax you into a car, yell and run, then write down the license number from a safe distance, or scratch it in the dirt. Then tell your parents teacher or a policemen.
· If a friend gets in to a car with a stranger, even if you have warned him not to, write down the license number and tell a policeman, your parents or teacher right away.
· Make sure that your parents always know you are and who you are with.
· When collecting for charities, always travel in groups of two or more, and never go inside a stranger’s house.
· Teach your children their full names, address and telephone No.
· Tell them never to admit to being home alone on the phone or to someone at the door.
· Instruct children to look out for each other and tell you when something unusual or suspicious happens.
· Report suspicious individuals or vehicles lurking in areas where children play to the police.
· Ask a trusted neighbor to provide security for your children if any threat or emergency arise while you are away from home. Offer to do same for them.
· Every child should know that police are friends and be able to recognize the uniform and know that a policeman will be receptive if the child is lost or frightened.
· Children should be encouraged to play with friends and never in isolated areas or vacant buildings.
· Parents should always know where their children are. Parents should ensure that baby-sitters are known and can be trusted.
· Fix grills on windows and glass paneled doors.
· Don't allow any stranger to enter your house, when you are alone without finding out his identity.
· Beware of persons coming to your house under the pretext of repairing/selling
· Keep side doors pad locked and main door bolted.
· Use slam-shut locks instead of pad locks. Install magic eye and safety chains on doors.
· Look through the magic eye and ensure the door chain is secure before opening the door to a stranger.
· Leave a light switched on when you go out of town. Inform your neighbours about your absence from your home for a long or short period.
· Insure all valuable properties like VCR, TV etc.
· Mark valuables with an identification number like your Ration Card, Passport or
· Install an alarm system and learn how to use it. Monitor your alarm system and arrange for guard response. Stow away ladders and stools.
· Make your home appear lived in. Don't keep huge amount of cash and ornaments in the house. Use bank lockers.
· Don't sleep near an open window during the night.
· Don't disturb the scene, if you notice theft in your house, wait for the arrival of police otherwise it will lead to tampering of evidence like fingerprints, footprints etc.